Farm Made Aqua Feed
According to New et.al (1993), farm-made aqua feed refers to a type of compound feed that has a pellet or other shape and contains one or more artificial and natural food ingredients and is only made for a specific farm. It is never commercially marketed or produced for profit.
Farm Made Feed Characteristics
1. It is made from local food ingredients, e.g.
- Rice husk
- Mustard oil cake
- Wheat flour
- Dried fish
- Kitchen waste
- Cattle slaughterhouse waste
- Poultry droppings
- Blood meal
- Bone meal
- Aquatic plants (water hyacinth, Duckweeds etc.)
2. It is cheap in price;
3. Rich in essential nutrients
4. The ingredients are easily available
5. The quality of food includes:
- Its durability in water is high
- Strong pellets
- With Vitamin C.
6. Feed Forms
- Soft ball shaped (for carp)
- Soft pellets (made daily)
- Wet pellets (made daily)
- Powder form and soft balls
Classification of on Farm Made Aqua Feed
Food prepared on the farm or farm made aqua feed is classified into the following two main groups, viz
1. Natural food which is produced through the application of fertilizers in the culture system.
2. Natural food that is produced outside the culture system.
Sources of on Farm Feed Ingredients
Fish meal, Snail muscles; Trash fish; Poultry droppings
Fish oil; Vegetable oil; Soybean meal; Animal fat
Rice husk; Rice powder; Wheat bran; Wheat flour; Nut cake; Cassava chip
Vitamins and minerals
Di-calcium phosphate; Vitamin pre-mix; If vitamin pre-mix is not available for fish, then vitamin pre-mix for poultry can be used.
Locally available feed ingredients
Duckweed, Sweet potato vines and leaves, epil-epil etc.
Manufacturing of Farm Made Aqua Feed Process
The following is a description of food processing methods through flow diagrams:
Factors affecting the feeding rate
Different types of factors/influencers affect the rate of food intake. The following are the names of some of these influencers: