Koi are colorful varieties of Amur carp which are kept for ornamental or decorative purposes in a water garden or koi ponds. Different varieties of ornamental koi are available in the pet market. They are originated in Japan in the 19th century. Koi can grow up to 36 (91 cm) inches in length with a lifespan of 50 years or more. Mature koi need at least 3 feet deep pond with at least 50 gallons of water per fish. They can thrive in a wide range of water temperatures with clean water and proper water chemistry.
Koi pond is a beautiful reservoir to keep your koi happy and healthy. In this case, you should keep the water clean for the fish to thrive. Koi take more food as a result they produce more waste and other debris that make the water unclean and unhealthy. The most important part of any koi pond is the proper filtration system. Because koi are notoriously messy fish and they need a reliable filter. The filter works to provide continuous clean pond water and helps to ensure a balanced and healthy pond environment.
To get rid of the waste, bacteria and other debris, the best koi pond filter, and other accessories are required. In the pet business sector, there are several different filter models available. You may choose the best koi pond filter that fulfills your requirements. Choosing the best koi pond filter is not easy. For this reason, we have made a list of the 12 best koi pond filter with a review and buying guide that helps you to choose the best koi pond filter. The best koi filter help ensure a balanced and healthy pond environment and keep continuous clean water in your koi pond.
Best 12 Koi Pond Filter
The koi require appropriate filtration system to thrive. The right filtration system provides healthy environment and keep your koi happy and healthy. If you are seeking for appropriate type of filter for your koi pond, then you should follow the following review and buying guide for choosing the appropriate kou pond filter that fulfills your requirements.
Comparison Table for Best 12 Koi Pond Filter
|Aquascape 95053 UltraKlean 2000 Gallon Biological Pressure Filter||up to 2,000 gallons|
|Jebao CF-10 Pressured Pond Bio Filter with 13W UVC Clarifier||up to 1500 gallons|
|Polar Aurora Pond Pressure Bio Filter 13W UV Light 10000L Koi Water||2500 gallons (with fish) and 1500 gallons (without fish load)|
|OASE Biosmart Koi Filter||up to 10000 gallons|
|Grech CPF-2500 Pond Bio Pressure Filter||up to 3,000 liters (with fish) and up to 6000 liters (without fish load).|
|Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II Bead Filter||1000-30000 gallons with fish loads|
|Bubble Bead Filter XS-1000||up to 1000 gallons|
|Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 1000 Filter||500-1000 gallons|
|CNZ All-in-one Pump and Filter||up to 2000 litres|
|Jebao UFP-2000 Submersible Pond UV Filter, Black||Small to medium sized pond|
|OASE Biosmart 5000 Pond Filter||up to 5000 gallons|
|Aquascape Submersible Pond Water Filter||up to 800 gallons|
Aquascape 95053 UltraKlean 2000 Gallon Biological Pressure Filter
If you are looking for the best koi pond filter then the Aquascape UltraKlean® Pond Filter is the perfect choice for you. This filter can provide optimum water conditions with crystal clear water in your koi pond. It is suitable for ponds up to 2,000 gallons. It has a unique sponge-free design that can do efficient mechanical and biological filtration by minimizing maintenance.
The filter includes T5 high-output ultraviolet clarifier and integrated electronic bulb-saver option that saves bulb life and provides an ideal time to add water treatments.
It also includes the bio-ball filtration media which can effectively trap debris and dirt. It can also eliminate algae which causes algal bloom in your koi pond. The bio-balls also help to produce beneficial bacteria with the help of biological filtration system.
The filter has easy use self-cleaning feature which allows for the unit to be backwashed in less than five minutes without opening the canister or getting hands dirty.
The filter also features a cleaning indicator light that automatically notifies you when the filter needs backwashing.
The filter comes with all necessary fittings making the filter installation easier. If you purchase this filter then you will get 3-years limited warranty.
- Model: 2000
- Average Pond Size: 2,000 gallons
- Max Flow Rate: 2,700 gallon per hour
- Wattage: 14 watts
- Power Cord Length: 20 feet
- Approximate dimensions (LXWXH): 13 inch x 13 inch x 17 inch
- Outlet size: 1 inch, 1.25 inch, 1.5 inch
- Filtration stages: Biological, mechanical,
- UV Pressurized: yes
- Weight: 12 lbs
- Warranty: 3 years
- The filter includes Bio-Media and T5 high-output ultraviolet clarifier;
- It can easily efficiently trap dirt and debris and eliminates algal bloom;
- It is suitable for ponds up to 2000 gallons;
- It includes a High-output UV bulb that maximizes performance by minimizing maintenance;
- It features a swirl sleeve that can efficiently optimize UV;
- The product includes 3 Year Limited Manufacturer’s warranty;
- It includes Indicator lights with UV bulb saver option;
- It is not suitable for cold weather use;
Jebao CF-10 Pressured Pond Bio Filter with 13W UVC Clarifier
If you are looking for a dual filtration system for your koi pond then Jebao CF-10 Pressured Pond Bio Filter with 13W UVC Clarifier is the best option for you. It can provide Clearer and Healthier water to your koi pond or Water Garden.
This filter is suitable for cleaning up to 1500 gallon ponds. If you use it for a koi pond or large fish, it can clean water up to 500 gallons while the pond contains goldfish with some aquarium plants, it can clean up to 1000 gallon pond.
It is a perfect filter that is recommended for use with pond pumps. It is capable of pumping between 850 to 1250 gallons of water per Hour.
The Jebao CF-10 Pressured Pond Bio Filter is an inexpensive filter and you can purchase it by costing less than a hundred dollars. It is easy to use and it can easily keep your koi pond clean and healthy. This filter has three stages filtration system which provides crystal clear water in your koi pond.
The mechanical filtration system also has three stages including coarse, medium-coarse, and fine filtration. Each phase can effectively eliminate all sizes of unwanted dirt and debris by using a specially designed foam sponge. In this case, two foam discs are used to collect different unwanted dirt and debris and enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria which break down harmful pollutants creating the pond environment healthy.
Biological filtration encourages the growth of beneficial bacteria. At this stage, water passes through the bio-balls by providing a large surface area for beneficial bacteria. The beneficial bacteria convert the harmful wastes into healthy nitrates and ultimately fertilizes the aquatic plants creating a safe and healthy habitat for your fish.
UV filtration is the third stage filtration system that uses a low-voltage UV light. In this case, the UV light kills microscopic suspended algae during passing through the filter and sent it through the output and back into your pond providing crystal clear water. The filter also includes a back-flashing system which makes the filter easy to clean.
- Pond size: 1.000 gallons, 500 gallons–maximum for koi pond
- Filtration stages: Biological, mechanical,
- UV Pressurized: yes
- Outlet size: ½ inch, ¾ inch, 1 inch
- Dimensions: 12 inches x 17 inches
- Weight: 9.1 lbs
- Warranty: 2 years
- Backwash facility;
- Cleaning indicator;
- A UVC viewing window;
- It is inexpensive to purchase;
- It includes cleaning indicator;
- It is simple and easy to install;
- It is easy to clean;
- It provides three stages filtration system;
- It makes the pond environment safe and healthy;
- It includes a back-flashing system which makes the filter easy to clean;
- It can easily remove various sizes of debris and dirt from the water;
- The filter may have leaking issues after some use;
Polar Aurora Pond Pressure Bio Filter 13W UV Light 10000L Koi Water
Polar Aurora Pond Pressure Bio Filter is another good looking filter. It is a durable and long-lasting koi pond filter and it should be the perfect choice for you. It is made using high-quality ABS material which is resistant to sunlight, water, and aging. This filter is suitable for ponds with a normal fish load of 2500 gallons and ponds with a heavy fish load of 1500 gallons. The filter works with a maximum flow rate of 10000 liters per hour.
The filter features a UV bulb and it can provide a clean and healthy pond by improving water quality.
It is easy to clean and maintain due to its automatic cleaning functions that help to clean the filter without opening the container saving you a lot of time.
It is a small pressurized koi pond filter made from Golplus that makes an excellent filtration for a wide variety of pond systems.
The filter contains a 13-watt UV clarifier which is a major plus providing benefits of the slow water flow rate that helps to remove harmful bacteria and parasites.
The filter is made using a simple design and you can easily unscrew all parts of the filter providing access to all internal components.
The filter has an innovative dual-outlet design as a result of the clarified water back into the pond via a pressure hose. During cleaning the filter, the dirty water is diverted into the sewerage system which efficiently promotes the recycling of water. The filter also includes high-quality filter sponges which can make a balanced flow of water.
If your pond contains a lot of koi fish then you have to add activated charcoal to the filter media that is provided by this filtration system.
Besides, the filter has some drawbacks due to its manufacturing issues and many units may contain one or more leaks. The manufacturer company also does not give proper support with no warranty at all about this filter.
- Pond sizes: 4,000 gallons
- Dimensions: 22 inches x 17 inches x 17 inches
- Outlet size: 1.5 inches
- Pressurized: Yes
- Three stages Filtration types: Mechanical, biological, UV
- UVC strength: 13 watts
- Warranty: N/A
- It is a small pressurized koi pond filter;
- The filter includes UV filter;
- It is easy to clean and maintain;
- It is suitable for small ponds;
- It is inexpensive;
- The filter contains a 13-watt UV clarifier;
- It is made using high-quality ABS material;
- It is resistant to sunlight, water, and aging;
- It works with the maximum flow rate of 10000 liters per hour;
- The manufacturer company gives poor customer support;
- The company does not provide a warranty;
- Many filter units may contain one or more leaks.
OASE Biosmart Koi Filter
OASE biosmart koi filter is a very popular koi filter among koi fish enthusiasts due to its awesome biological filtration performance. It is suitable for ponds up to 10000 gallons which offer both biological and mechanical filtration providing maximum oxygenation into your koi pond.
The BioSmart filter is made using nature-friendly technology which helps to create a healthy environment in your pond. This filter includes a built-in cleaning indicator with water temperature display units which need minimal maintenance. In this case, the temperature display unit informs you of the water temperature at all times while the cleaning unit notifies you when the filter needs cleaning.
The filter is designed for use in medium ponds or ponds with a moderate biological load. The filter includes a multi-stage mechanical and biological filtration which works together and performs a water cleaning process through a series of filter foams with a large amount of surface area by creating a special environment for settling beneficial bacteria.
The filter also has several zones which facilitate the biological conversion of toxic ammonia and nitrates to nitrates which are essential for the growth of aquatic plants. The filter includes a sludge drain that helps to remove coarse debris and sediment easily.
Oase BioSmart 10000 Pond Filter is easy to clean and maintain. During cleaning the filter, you should turn off the pump and pull the sludge drain handles. In this case, filter pads do not need to remove for regular cleanings. Because it includes built-in cleaning systems which make the maintenance of the filter hassle-free.
Besides the above features, the filter has some drawbacks compared to other non-pressurized filtration systems. Because it is not easy to install due to its inadequate instructions provided by the manufacturer company. It also does not contain a built-in UV filter system to eliminate harmful bacteria.
- Dimensions: 30 x 22 x 16 inches
- Minimum flow rate:1600 gallon per hour
- Maximum Flow Rate: up to 3600 gallons per hour
- Input Connections: 3/4, 1, 1 1/4 inches
- Outlet Connections: 2 1/2 inches.
- Net weight: 24 lbs.
- Sludge Drain Connections: 2 inches
- Maximum Pond Size: 10000 gallons (no fish)
- Maximum Pond Size: 5000 gallons ( with fish stock)
- Maximum Pond Size: 2500 gallons (with koi fish)
- It is easy to clean;
- It is suitable for ponds up to 10000 gallons;
- It offers both biological and mechanical filtration;
- It can provide maximum oxygenation into your koi pond;
- It facilitates the biological conversion of toxic ammonia and nitrates to nitrates;
- It includes a temperature display unit which informs you of the water temperature at all times;
- It also includes a cleaning unit which notifies you when the filter needs cleaning;
- It is not easy to install due to its inadequate instructions;
- It does not contain a built-in UV filter system to eliminate harmful bacteria;
Grech CPF-2500 Pond Bio Pressure Filter
CPF-2500 pond bio pressure filter ought to be the ideal choice for your koi pond since it is the most recent age filter. It is a high-performance bio-mechanical koi filter that is designed using the most modern UV technology. This filter is suitable for ponds up to 3,000 liters with fish load and up to 6000 liters without fish load.
This filter improves the water quality by ensuring a stable biological balance. As a result, it produces crystal clear water and creates a healthy environment for the koi pond inhabitants.
This pressure pond filter includes a UV unit that works in combination with biological and mechanical filtration contributing crystal clear water to your koi pond.
The filter`s UVC clarifier can change the protein structure of algae with help of UV radiation and finally obstructs the growth of the algae. As a result, large parts of algae clump form that can be easily eliminated from the koi pond water using mechanical pond filtration. Inside the filter, microorganisms accumulate during the bio-mechanical cleaning and eliminate harmful bacteria and germs from the water creating a safe environment for koi pond inhabitants. Floating dirt and debris remain in the pond filter and they do not back to the koi pond water which occurs through the process of mechanical filtration.
The filter contains more efficient mechanical and biological filter chambers which can easily eliminate the dissolved and solid waste materials. The filter enhances the rapid growth of aerobic bacteria that is useful to remove toxic ammonia and nitrite from the water.
The filter includes a simple quick handle cleaning system which makes the filter easy maintenance. In this cleaning system, it does not need to open and clean the foams all the time. The filter is able to provide higher water flows than other traditional gravity filters.
The filter should be placed in a shadow area where the temperature should not exceed 40°C. Because direct sunlight affects the temperature which is not suitable for the growth of beneficial bacteria.
The filter has a compact design with a simple cleaning system that is easy to install and maintain. In this case, it does not need constant opening and foam cleaning. The filter also includes inlet and outlet tubing adapters which make the filter easy to set up.
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 16 x 12 inches ;
- Maximum flow rate: 1001-1500 gallon per hour
- Input voltage: 230VAC ~50Hz
- UVC-power: 11 Watt
- Power: 13 W
- Cable length: 4.5 m
- Hose connection Ø / Inch: 19 mm (3/4 Inch) / 25mm (1 Inch) / 33 mm (1 1/4 Inch)
- Volume / capacity: 38 Liters
- Pond size with fish: up to 3,000 litres
- Pond size without fish: up to 6,000 litres
- Weight: 10 pounds
- Shipping Weight: 11.3 pounds
- Maximum Output: ~ 1600 GPH
- Inlet /Outlet Hose Adapter: 3/4″, 1 1/4″
- Power: 13w
- It is easy to install and maintenance;
- It is suitable for ponds up to 3,000 liters with fish load and up to 6000 liters without fish load;
- It is designed using the most modern UV technology;
- It includes a simple quick handle cleaning system;
- It produces clear water and creates a healthy environment;
- It is the latest generation koi pond filter;
- It is an easy and uncomplicated bio-pressure pond filter system;
- It can easily eliminate the dissolved and solid waste materials;
- It may contain problems with leaks;
Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II Bead Filter
If you need to remove both ammonia and accumulated debris from your koi pond, then the Ultima II filter is the best choice for you. It works as combined with both biological and mechanical filtration. In this case, the dense of ridged media of the mechanical filtration system traps solids efficiently without clumping.
It is the best-pressurized bead filter which is perfect for high-density koi fish ponds due to its excellent mechanical and biological filtration system. The filter works with a minimum flow rate of 2000 gallons per hour with a maximum flow rate of 4500 gallons per hour.
The filter also has the highest biofilm surface which is essential for beneficial bacterial growth that converts ammonia into harmless compounds making the healthier environment for your fish. Because each filter contains pre-seeded beneficial bacteria with a non-wax tubular filter media which provides 4-7x more surface area for bacterial growth than other filters in the market.
This filter is suitable for koi ponds that range from 1000-30000 gallons with fish loads and/or elevated feed rates.
If your pond contains a waterfall feature then the filter should be placed at the opposite end for optimum circulation. The filter should be buried up to the valve head due to its compact body. In this case, the filter should be leveled in-line between the UV clarifier and the pump.
The filter is easy to clean and maintain. Because it has a potential backwash system that requires only a few minutes a week to eliminate dirt and debris from the pond. In this case, you don’t have to drain a sludge valve or scrub the filter.
It is recommended that if your pond is really dirty, you should do a water change before running the filter. If your pond has no fish or has a lighter fish load then you should backwash the filter one time each week while the pond contains a heavier fish load then you should backwash the filter two times each week.
In many cases, a pressurized filter shows problems. In this case, the oxygen content is lower in a slow environment and beneficial bacteria are discharged during backwashing. But Ultima II filter overcomes this problem and regulates water and clean itself.
- Max pond size: 1000-30000 gallons
- Length: 16.50 inch
- Width: 16.50 inch
- Height: 34.75 inch
- Includes UV: No
- Includes Tubing: No
- Backwash Feature: Yes
- Inlet/Outlet: 2.0 in./2.0 in.
- Includes Media: Yes
- Flow Rate: 2000 GPH
- Warranty: One year
|Models||Inlets/Outlets valve||Pond/tank size(gallons)||Minimum Flow Rate(GPH)||Maximum Flow Rate(GPH)|
|Ultima-1000||1.5 inch or 2 inch||500-1000||500||1200|
|Ultima-2000||1.5 inch or 2 inch||1000-2000||1000||2500|
|Ultima-4000||1.5 inch or 2 inch||2000-4000||2000||4500|
|Ultima-30000||2 inch2 inch||20000-30000||7000||7500|
- It works as combined both biological and mechanical filtration;
- It is easy to clean and maintain;
- It can remove toxic ammonia and debris;
- It includes a self-cleaning backwash system;
- The filter is suitable for up to 30000 gallons;
- The filter contains pre-seeded with beneficial bacteria to start colonization quickly;
- The filter is suitable for protecting bacteria while dislodging unwanted debris;
- It can prevent clumping & channeling;
- Media never needs to be replaced;
- The filter has the highest surface area to grow beneficial bacteria;
- The filter has only a single-surface area to grow bacteria over the initial layer;
Bubble Bead Filter XS-1000
A bubble bead filter is an advanced filtration system for koi ponds. It is suitable for up to 1000 gallons of the reservoir. It is easy to maintain due to its easy and quick backwashing system. This filter provides a large surface area for growing beneficial nitrifying bacteria. This is typically sufficient to lessen pressure build-up in the system without having to exchange any of the internal filters.
This filter unit usually works using a mechanical filtration system. This unit can catch particles larger than 50 µ and half of all particles down to 5 µ ensuring crystal clear water in your tank or ponds.
This type of awesome filter is available in the pet business market which ranges from 300 to 20000 gallons. Besides this, this filter does not equip with UV (ultraviolet) light for killing or neutralizing toxic bacteria.
It has only one drawback because you will not get any guarantee from the manufacturer company if you purchase this product. But you will get five-star customer service from the company.
- Dimensions: 32 inches x 10 inches diameter
- Pressurized: Yes
- Pond sizes: up to 1000 gallons but available in sizes from 300 to 20,000 gallons.
- UVC strength: N/A
- Type of filtration: Mechanical and biological
- Outlet size: ¾ inch
- Warranty: N/A
- It is easy to use and maintain;
- It is simple to backwash cleaning;
- This unit works as an excellent mechanical filtration system;
- It has a wide range of filter capacities;
- The manufacturer company provides very good customer service;
- The filter ensures crystal clear water in your tank or ponds.
- This filter provides a large surface area for growing beneficial nitrifying bacteria
- This filter does not equip with UV (ultraviolet) light for killing or neutralizing toxic bacteria;
- They does not provide any warranty;
Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II 1000 Filter
On the off chance that you are searching for a most loved combined biological/mechanical filtration system, the Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II is the most ideal choice for you. It is easy to install and maintain which performs excellent for different sized ponds. It can do filter out the solids and convert toxic ammonia into safe compounds for fish and plants. You can clean the filter fast and easily due to its self-cleaning backwash cycle.
Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II filter features pre-seeded with beneficial bacteria that offers 4-7 x more surface area for the growth of bacteria compared to other filters on the pet business market. It provides a biological filter system making the safe aquatic environment. This filter system includes suitable filter material which really helps prevent clumping. As a result, you will get crystal clear water.
It is a pressurized filter that can easily eliminate debris and nitrifies any toxic ammonia making a safe and healthier environment for your aquarium organisms. This filter is suitable for ponds that range from 500-1000 gallons with extreme fish loads.
If you get optimum performance then you should operate the filter with an in-line drive or centrifugal pump. Besides, It does not include a UV filtration system.
Different Size of Aqua Ultraviolet Ultima II
|Ultima II Size||Pond Size (gallons)||Min-max Flow Rate (GPH)||Pump Recommendation|
|Ultima II 1,000||500 – 1,000||500/1200||1,000 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 2,000||1,000 – 2,000||1,000/2,500||2,000 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 4,000||2,000 – 4,000||2,000/4,500||2,000 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Characteristic 4||Characteristic 4||Characteristic 4||Characteristic 4|
|Ultima II 6,000||4,000 – 6,000||3,000/7,500||6,000 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 10,000||6,000 – 10,000||5,000/7,500||7,500 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 20,000||10,000 – 20,000||7,000/7,500||7,500 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 30,000||20,000 – 30,000||7,000/7,500||7,500 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 30,000SMV||20,000 – 30,000||10,000/20,400||15,500 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 60,000SMV||30,000 – 60,000||15,000/20,400||20,500 GPH at 10’ of Head|
|Ultima II 100,000||60,000 – 100,000||20,000/24,400||24,000 GPH at 10’ of Head|
- Pressurized: Yes
- Pond sizes: 500-100000 gallons
- Filtration types: Mechanical and biological
- UVC strength: N/A
- Outlet size: 1.5 inch
- Dimensions: 34 inch x 16 inch x 16 inch
- Warranty: 1 year
- It features a pre-seeded with bacteria to start colonization quickly;
- Filter media never needs to be replaced;
- It can prevent clumping;
- It is a highly effective biological filtration system;
- It performs gentle backwash cleaning;
- It is relatively inexpensive to buy;
- It can easily remove toxic ammonia and debris;
- It is suitable for ponds up to 100,000 gallons;
- One year warranty;
- It does not include a UV filtration system;
- It is relatively inexpensive to buy;
CNZ All-in-one Pump and Filter
This CNZ filter is very popular among pet fish enthusiasts due to its water shooting capacity. It can do shoot water into the air up to sixteen feet high. It includes a flow regulator with a three-mode fountain placement. It also features a 32 feet cable with a welded plug. It has a flow rate of 66 gallons per hour with a filter weight of 4.14 Ibs. This CNZ all-in-one filter is suitable for ponds up to 2000 liters.
It includes three bio-filter compartments with a coarse foam layer. It also includes an imposing filter chamber with a well-able sieving media inside the cages. This koi pond filter has a UV sterilizer that can run using a 13-watt capacity. It can kill free-floating algae, parasites, and bacteria making the pond environment safe and healthy for your fish.
This filter is inexpensive to buy which is designed to run submerged condition. In this case, the pond must be deep sufficient to make certain the full coverage underwater. This machine includes both a water filter and pump in one making the filter inexpensive.
It is a multifunctional filter device that is best suited to the medium-sized water pool.
- It is easy to install and maintain;
- It is a lightweight gadget with multi-fountain modes;
- It is inexpensive to buy;
- It makes a various aesthetic appeal in water bodies;
- It includes the UV sterilizer for removing harmful bacteria and algae;
- If you buy this awesome filter, you will get 12 months guarantee;
- It is hard to clean;
- In many cases, grime builds up a layer that shuts the safety lids;
- Spare part are not available; hence you might have to repurchase a whole unit after expiring guarantee;
Jebao UFP-2000 Submersible Pond UV Filter, Black
Jebao UFP-2000 filter system is the high-performance filter. I think, you should select it for your koi pond because it is a wonderful piece that can do work with more than one function. It is perfect for a small to the medium-sized pond.
It includes all in one UFP-2000 system that helps to make sure the harmful algae-free water in your pond by getting rid of any dirt present at the koi pond. It is easy to install compared to a standard pond setup. It is equipped with a single smart unit that contains a single power cable for electric connection. It features a built-in 13-watt UVC bulb and filtration system that satisfactorily kills all algae and floating bacteria in the water making the pond water crystal clear.
The filter includes the sieving system which connects to a pump that can gash out of the water with a flow rate of 530 gallons per hour. In this case, you can get an adjustable flow rate feature to make the flow rate perfect for your pond.
This koi pond filter has a UV sterilizer that can run using a 13-watt capacity. It can kill free-floating algae, parasites, and bacteria making the pond environment safe and healthy for your fish.
It includes three bio-filter media baskets with a coarse foam layer. This filter is designed to run submerged conditions. In this case, the pond must be deep sufficient to make certain the full coverage underwater.
This awesome filter unit includes a separate chamber with filtering media that can clean the pond water several times. This system also includes a splitter that permits you to nonstop water to a waterfall.
It is easy to maintain and you can easily replace the UV bulb by unscrewing only one screw. This filter system also features a best-quality fountain attachment set with three different fountain attachments suitable for a variety of displays in your koi pond and its weight is 12.57 pounds.
- Filter Dimensions (L x W x H): 14. 5 X 12 X 5. 25 inches
- Power Capacity: 46-watt;
- Outlet: Fits 1/2”, 3/4″ ID (inside diameter) tubing;
- Max Flow rate: 530 GPH;
- Max-head: 8. 2ft;
- Height of fountain tube: 20″-24″ ;
- Power Cable: 32 feet power US 3-Prong Ground cable;
- Volt Capacity: 110-120v 60Hz;
- It is easy to install;
- Disassemble is straightforward;
- It is easy to clean;
- This system includes a two-in-one feature that makes it inexpensive;
- It runs using 13-watt power capacity;
- It can gash out of the water with a flow rate of 530 gallons per hour;
- It includes 13-watt UVC bulb that satisfactorily kills all algae and floating bacteria in the water making the pond water crystal clear;
- It is suitable for small to a medium-sized pond;
- In many cases, the UV bulb does not work properly;
- It does not work large sized pond;
OASE Biosmart 5000 Pond Filter
The OASE Biosmart is a great filter suitable for up to 5000 gallons of the pond. It includes the built-in temperature and cleaning indicator which requires minimal maintenance. In this case, the cleaning indicator notifies you when the filter needs cleaning while the water temperature display unit informs you of the water temperature at all times.
This filter unit provides maximum oxygenation in your pond with a combination of biological and mechanical filtration. This biosmart filter unit is made using nature-friendly technology that offers positive results for fish stock in your pond.
This awesome and smart filter has a high-surface-area that provides distinct filter zones for the settlement of beneficial bacteria. These bacteria are responsible for nitrogen cycles that enhance to convert the toxic ammonia into nitrite in your pond. The filter is easy to clean and maintain without removing or unclog the filter foams. You can easily eliminate coarse debris by opening the sludge drain after cleaning the filter foams. This filter guarantees crystal clear water using an OASE pump and UV clarifier.
Besides the above positive features, it has some drawbacks because it is a non-pressurized filtration system. It also includes poor instruction manuals for the installation of the filter. This system has no UV filter system to eliminate toxic bacteria from your pond.
- Dimensions: 22 x 22 x 16 inches
- Net weight: 12.1 lbs.
- Minimum Flow Rate: 1600 GPH
- Maximum Flow Rate: up to 2700 GPH
- Input Connections: 3/4, 1, 1 1/4 inches
- Outlet Connections: 2 1/2 inches
- Sludge Drain Connections: 2 inches
- Maximum Pond Size (with no fish): 5000 gallons
- Maximum Pond Size (with fish): 2500 gallons
- Pressurized: No
- Type of filtration: Biological and mechanical
- UVC strength: N/A
- Warranty: 3 years
- It includes a cleaning indicator and water temperature display unit;
- With sludge drain;
- Built-in cleaning system for easy maintenance;
- Available size includes 5000 and 10000 gallons;
- Mechanical / biological flow-through design;
- It provides maximum oxygenation in your pond;
- It provides high-surface-area for the settlement of beneficial bacteria;
- The filter unit is made using nature-friendly technology that offers positive results for fish stock in your pond.
- It does not include a UV filter;
- They provide poor installation instructions;
Aquascape Submersible Pond Water Filter
If you keep your pond water clean, clear, and healthy then the Aquascape Submersible Pond Filter is the perfect choice for you. Because it provides efficient mechanical and biological filtration. It is suitable for ponds up to 800 gallons. The filter has a removable cage with a large surface area that prevents debris and dirt from clogging the filter. It also significantly reduces the maintenance time of the filter unit.
It is a low-profile filter unit that includes a pre-filter sponge pack suitable for seizing smaller debris and dirt from your pond water. This submersible pond filter features ceramic filtration rings which provide sufficient area for the colonization of beneficial bacteria.
The submersible pond filter also includes a multi-hose adapter with a threaded intake that confirms the filter is ready to adapt with most pond pumps. If you purchase this brilliant filter system then you will get three years limited warranty.
- It provides efficient mechanical and biological filtration;
- It is suitable for pond up to 800 gallons;
- It provides crystal clear water making the pond environment healthy;
- The manufacturer company provides a 3-year limited warranty;
- Removable cage for easy cleaning;
- It includes a pre-filter sponge pack suitable for seizing smaller debris and dirt;
- This filter provides sufficient area for the colonization of beneficial bacteria;
- This filter is compatible with most pumps;
- The pump is not included with this filter;
Which Type of Filter You Should Choose to Fit Your Koi Pond
To choose the best koi pond filter, you should consider the following important features:
You should select the filter that works best for you and your fish. The koi pond filter should have both biological and mechanical filtration systems. Both the filtration systems are essential to confirm the health of your koi fish.
Biological filtration converts harmful biological waste like ammonia into nitrate and maintains the good water quality in your koi pond. In this case, this system uses media substrate to enhance the growth of beneficial bacteria on the filter. As a result, unwanted microbes are removed from your pond effectively. The biological filter also uses UV light to kill unwanted microbes such as harmful bacteria, parasites that can spread diseases among your koi fish.
Mechanical filtration is easier than a biological filtration system. It can remove unsightly suspended waste products such as sludge, fish poop, uneaten food, debris, and other particles from your fish tank. In this case, mechanical filter media sits inside the filter unit and it traps and stains solid waste material from your pond water making the clean water flows to your pond.
Pressurized Or Non-Pressurized Filters
There are two types of filters for koi pond, namely pressurized filter and non-pressurized filter. You should select either a pressurized filter or a non-pressurized filter for your koi pond. There are merits and demerits to both systems.
Pressurized Koi Filters
Pressurized koi filter is also called bead filter. It is a very popular filter among the koi pond enthusiasts. Because it is easy to install and you can install it below ground level of the tank. Besides, it can capable of filter enormous volumes of water.
Pressurized koi filter provides significantly slow water flow than non-pressurized filters. As a result, it provides better water filtration by taking more time to filter the water moving through this system. Besides, beneficial bacteria cannot live under slow-moving water conditions due to the depletion of oxygen.
- It is easy to install and you can install it above or below ground;
- It can do filter very large volumes of water;
- It provides slow water movement and requires more time to filter the water;
- It is expensive to purchase;
- It leads to oxygen depletion, as a result, it negatively affects the biological filtration;
Non-pressurized filter is also known as a box filter. It is very simple to install than a pressurized filter. It is a subversive filter and it needs a flat bench to sit on.
The non-pressurized filter provides higher flow rates which encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria due to plenty of oxygen supply working very effectively in crowded koi ponds.
Besides, biological media of non-pressurized filter is cleaned itself providing higher flow rates. In this case, a higher flow rate helps to remove dead bacteria from the water.
- It is an exceptional biological filtration;
- It is easy to install;
- It is a more affordable filter than a pressurized filter;
- Biological media is self-cleaning;
- It provides a higher flow rate;
- Placement of filter is limited on pond design;
Choosing a Best Koi Pond Filter
The filtration system is the most important feature for any koi pond. The purchasing of a koi pond filter should depend on how much money you want to spend. In this case, you have to set a budget for purchasing the filter and pond preparation. When setting up a koi pond, there are different ways to save money but there are no ways to cut money during purchasing the best koi pond filter.
The small pond requires usually a simple all-in-one filter. The filter provides an attractive addition to your pond making the pond environment healthy. But the larger pond is a bit more complicated as a result, you have to consider some things for purchasing the best filtration system.
The pond volume is also the important thing to find the best koi pond for you. If your ponds have more water, more filtration is required to keep the water clean. The koi pond needs a strong filtration system because they produce a lot of debris. In this case, the filtration system needs to 4 times harder than an empty pond to keep the pond water clean. If you have a 400-gallon tank then you should use a 500-gallon filter to make the pond clean.
Setting up a Koi Pond Filter System
There are a few basic steps to set up a filter system. In this case, you should carefully follow the specific instructions provided by the filter’s manufacturer company.
At first, you have to determine the layout of the pond and then you need to integrate the filter, pump, and pipes into the layout.
After that, you have to lay the necessary pipes to make a closed-loop system, from the pump to the filter and back to the pond.
Then you have to set up the electrical components based on power requirements. In this case, the most pump runs on using 100-volt power. Before running the pump, you should check the pump details for wire size, switches, and other cable protection accessories.
After setting up power, the pump and filter should be placed in the appropriate position and make the final connections. Switch on the pump and make sure the pump is working appropriately. If it is not working properly, then you should check all connections and again turn on the pump.
Various types of koi pond filter are available in the pet fish business sector. For making the best chemistry remains clean water, you should choose the best koi pond filter. Choosing the best koi pond filter is one of the most crucial factors for maintaining a koi pond. For this reason, we have made a list of the 12 best koi pond filter with a review and buying guide that helps you to choose the best koi pond filter. You may get in touch with the above-reviewed article and pick the best koi pond filter that fulfills your requirement within your budget.
You might also read: Best Filter for Turtle Tank: Review and Buying Guide